Build on your Auslan skills to open up employment opportunities
This diploma will provide you with the skills to use Auslan in a range of specialised, complex and technical workplace exchanges across personal, learning, employment, social and community contexts. You will be able to gain employment in a role requiring knowledge of Auslan and use your skills in a wide range of contexts.
The Diploma of Auslan builds on PSP40818 Certificate IV in Auslan and provides a greater opportunity for employment in a role requiring Auslan comprehension.
- Auslan for employment, learning, personal and social and community purposes
- Learn to analyse the semantics and sociolinguistics of Auslan
I have the following attributes:
- Language-learning aptitude
- High level of memory retention, concentration, accuracy and objectivity
- Flexibility, adaptability, understanding and acceptance
- Able to liaise with people from a range of backgrounds
- Broad general knowledge, including current affairs
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills program, through to 31 December 2025 you'll only pay half the tuition fees (plus resource fee) capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession.
^ You will pay half price for the tuition fees on the Lower fees, local skills qualifications, however other fees may apply such as Resource fees that are specific to your course. For full details see our Half price courses page.
Completion of the Certificate IV in Auslan, or equivalent, is recommended.
- Direct entry into the Diploma of Auslan is offered, however we recommend students choose the pathway option to complete Certificates II, III & IV In Auslan before enrolling into the Diploma of Auslan.
- This provides flexible study options culminating in the completion of the Diploma of Auslan over a period of 4 semesters. Each component of the course takes 1 semester to complete.
- Both direct entry and pathway entry have the same allocation of study periods, but the pathway gives you the option of exiting following the completion of one or more of the certificates.
- Direct entry will cost more than the pathway option which also allows you to pay for each certificate as you progress. You'll make a saving in fees.
- Following the recommended pathway will give solid training to ensure that you will become a fluent Auslan signer and enables you to pursue work in the industry.
- Duration of Diploma of Auslan is 2 years (4 semesters) on Direct Entry or 1 semester after the completion of Certificate IV in Auslan.
While direct entry may be possible, please note that fees listed below include all the units required to gain this qualification. If you’re a continuing student and you have successfully completed Certificate II, III and IV or have gained RPL for these qualifications, you’ll only pay for the units that you need to enrol in, to complete this Diploma course.
You'll be able to access your personal timetable (find out how on our Timetables page), once you have paid your fees. In the meantime the information below provides an indication of the time commitment required to complete this course, depending on available study options.
This is a full-time course which runs over three days per week:
- Monday and Wednesday, 9.00am – 3.00pm (on campus)
- Thursday, 9.00am – 12.00pm (on campus) & 1.30pm - 4.30pm (online)
Study outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research will be required to successfully complete your course.
Timetable information is indicative only and subject to change.
Please note course delivery will be entirely in Auslan, with no spoken language used in the classroom.
Many employers and service providers will expect Auslan-English Interpreter practitioners to have a NAATI Certification (Certified Provisional Interpreter - Diploma level or higher) – it is difficult to get translating and interpreting work without it. Certification details available from NAATI's website
If you’re a continuing student and have successfully completed Certificate IV in Auslan or have gained RPL, you’ll only pay for the units that you need to enrol in, to complete the Diploma of Auslan.
Bring your own device (BYOD) is encouraged but not essential.
If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours.
As a student you will also have additional costs associated with your study, for example text books and stationery, printing and other materials required for your assignments.
This course provides you with the knowledge and skills in Auslan that may lead to employment in a range of deaf-related vocations, such as:
- Auslan-English Interpreter
- Freelance Practitioner (Interpreter)
- Interpreting Service Provider (Agencies)
- Paraprofessional Interpreter
- Social and Community Work
- Deaf Learning
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Visit one of our four Jobs and Skills Centres located at NMT's Balga, Joondalup, Midland and Perth campuses for free career planning advice and job search support.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.
Semester 2, 2023
Perth - On Campus
|When||Semester 2, 2023|
Half price fees
The Lower fees, local skills (half price) discount and fee caps have already been applied to the Tuition fees displayed above. Please note that fee caps only apply to the calendar year, so multi-semester courses across more than one calendar year may have a higher fee. See the Half price courses page for more details.
Lower fees, local skills are available to residents of Western Australia, and temporary residents holding certain visa types. They are not available for people living outside of Western Australia, or international students. Full eligibility details are available on our Half price courses page.
Enquiries regarding fees can be made by calling us.
T 1300 300 822
The fees quoted are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2023. Please view the full list of Fee disclaimers.
Please note fees listed include all units required to gain this qualification. If you're a continuing student and have successfully completed a lower-level qualification that is a prerequisite for this course, you'll only pay for the units that you need to enrol in, to complete this course.
Enquiries regarding fees can be made by calling us.
This form is only for course enquiries. If you would like to apply, please refer to the Study options and next steps section above.