Start on the runway to a successful career in the fashion industry
Learn to design in the creative and cultural heart of the city. North Metro TAFE’s well established fashion department offers a stimulating design space that combines creativity with the underpinning practical skills necessary for success in an exciting and challenging industry.
The Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising begins with the necessary skills for a career in fashion design, such as sewing, pattern cutting, screen printing, digital design skills and fashion drawing. You will learn in simulated workplace design studios where original design interpretations, lateral thinking and extensive research are encouraged.
During this course you'll be given the opportunity to get involved in our creative community by participating in collaborations across various learning areas such as product design, jewellery design, graphic design and visual art; and gain real industry experience through our work placement programs.
On completion you’ll have an impressive skill set preparing you for further study or work in the real world.
This course is only offered in semester one of each year.
- Garment design and construction
- Textile design and digital fabric printing
- 2D and 3D pattern cutting
- Digital design and website development
- Fashion illustration
I have the following attributes:
- Creative flair and an eye for detail
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Good communication skills
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
- Fashion Production Assistant
- Design Assistant
- Pattern Cutter
- Sample Machinist
- Fashion Event Organiser
- Visual Merchandiser
- Fashion Illustrator
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
North Metropolitan TAFE offers you a range of further study opportunities, see below for a list of related courses.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.