This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees.
Develop skills to work with clients experiencing a mental health illness
This qualification focuses on the support and needs of people experiencing mental health issues. You'll learn about the value and principles of mental health sector and how to apply them in a recovery oriented way.
You will undertake a supervised or simulated work placement* where you will be able to apply the skills and knowledge you have learned.
You could find work in a variety of community contexts such as community based non-government organisations; outreach; centre-based programs; respite care; residential services; rehabilitation programs; clinical settings; or supporting people in employment.
- Professional boundaries
- Recognising and responding appropriately to people with mental health issues
- Networking and collaboration with services
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Working as part of a team
I have the following attributes:
- 18+ years of age
- Friendly, empathetic, resilient and positive attitude
- Commitment to the values of dignity, respect, inclusion, and empowerment
- Commitment to positively engage, interact and work with people who have complex needs
- Able to plan, organise and problem solve
- Able to work independently and use initiative
- Work respectfully with diverse people
With online study you will be completing your course via an online platform which contains all your study material and assessments. You will be provided a login and password to access this material once you have been enrolled at North Metropolitan TAFE.
Online is a little different to on-campus study as you do not have face to face contact with your lecturers and you do not engage directly with fellow students during every-day class activities. If on-campus study is not your preference, then online study is a great option. Rest assured you will be supported by your online lecturers.
You will also have access to lecturers via your online dashboard. The lecturers will help to clarify your concerns, assist with the course content, mark your assessments and provide you with feedback if required
This qualification is delivered in three stages over three semesters of study. During each stage, attendance on campus and online for practical demonstrations will be required. You will only need to enrol and pay for one stage at a time.
A Work Placement is compulsory for students undertaking this Certificate IV as some units require you to demonstrate your skills in a work place setting. This placement will be undertaken in the final stage/semester of study.
To enquire or enrol please fill out the Course Enquiry Form
Employer-based training offers a flexible, self-paced study program which combines workplace recognition of prior learning and individualised ‘gap’ training to attain your qualification.
This means every time you go to work you are learning and demonstrating competence whilst working towards your qualification. The flexibility of Employer-based training allows you to structure and perform learning and assessment in a way that fits into your professional and personal life.
Learning and assessment plans are created on an individual level in consultation with you and/or your employer. Assessment is conducted using numerous methods including practical demonstration and observation, question and answer interviews, written tasks, supervisor reports and workshops.
To enquire or enrol please fill out the Course Enquiry Form.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|C Grades in Year 11 WACE General English, and OLNA; or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 11 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate II or Certificate III|
We recommend that you are over the age of 18 before enrolling in this course as the fieldwork placement and employment outcomes are very limited for students under the age of 18.
* You will need to be enrolled in the appropriate units to be offered a work placement - it is not a standard for all enrolments.
Eligibility for supervised work placement is subject to obtaining a satisfactory Police Clearance. You will also need a Working with Children Check if your placement involves contact with children. Additonal costs will include $65 National Police Clearance, through Australia Post (it is best to apply for this first) and $11 Working With Children Check (WWCC).
- Recovery partner
- Mental Health Worker | Mental Health Support Worker
- Mental Health Outreach Worker
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees until 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee). Please see below an approximate estimate of what you will pay on enrolment.
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.