This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees.
Are you looking for a career making and fixing all things mechanical?
When you complete the Certificate II in Engineering (Mechanical Fitter and Machinist Pre-Apprenticeship) you'll greatly improve your chance of getting a mechanical fitting or machinist apprenticeship in industries such as rail transport infrastructure and maintenance, mining, automotive, or hydraulics.
You will gain the skills and knowledge to be able to operate lathes and milling and drilling machines, make and assemble components, safely use hand and power tools, be able to read measuring tools, read and interpret engineering drawings, and operate in an engineering workplace observing health and safety guidelines.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
- Organised during the course
Other costs for consideration:
- Project fee $70
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 8am to 3.30pm (Full Time)
- 2 days per week for 34 weeks (VET Delivered to Secondary Students|VETdSS)
- Trades Assistant in the Engineering Production or Manufacturing environment
The successful completion of this qualification provides you with the skills and knowledge to apply for employment as an apprentice mechanical fitter or fitter and machinist in the metals and engineering sector. You may also seek employment as a trades assistant in this sector. Many employers and Group Employer Schemes contact North Metropolitan TAFE throughout the year with a view to offering apprenticeships to students. Graduates of the Certificate II in Engineering have a greater chance of obtaining an apprenticeship than those without this qualification, because they have the knowledge, skills and competency that employers require.
- Certificate III in Engineering - Fabrication Trade (Heavy/Welding YH)
- Certificate III in Engineering - Fabrication Trade (Light Yc)
- Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade (Mechanical Fitter ZA)
The units covered will also transfer into Metal Fabrication Heavy (boilermaker) or Light Fabrication (sheet metal) trades. You will need to be employed and registered as an apprentice or trainee before you can commence apprenticeship/traineeship training.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees until 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee). Please see below an approximate estimate of what you will pay on enrolment.
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.