Menu Menu

Supporting student wellbeing

If you have mental health problems, whether diagnosed or not, it can make successful completion of your course more difficult. Contributing factors include:

  • Difficulty paying attention or understanding the content taught in class, due to symptoms of the illness and/or effects of medication 
  • Fear of failure or discrimination by classmates 
  • Frequent absences due to the nature of the mental illness 
  • Life issues that impact on your ability to study such as financial, relationships and/or housing stress 

 If you can get help to improve your mental health, and overcome these challenges to your studies, research in the vocational training sector shows that reaching achievable goals, such as a certificate at TAFE, helps people to develop skills that may improve coping skills with mental illness. 

Mental health emergencies

Police, fire, ambulance  call 000
Call if there is a threat to life (or go to a Hospital Emergency Department)

Mental Health Emergency Response Line  call 1300 555 788
For anyone involved in a mental health emergency in the community – including individuals, families/carers, member of the general public or health professionals, provided by the East Metropolitan Health Service.

Suicide Call Back Service  call 1300 659 467
Nationwide service offering assistance 24 hours per day, seven days per week for people over 18 who may feel suicidal or who know someone who may be at risk of suicide 

Lifeline  call 13 11 14
Crisis support. Suicide prevention.

Kids Helpline  call 1800 551 800
Free, confidential, 24/7 online and phone counselling service (includes 18-25yrs). Deals with mental health problems, family/relationship violence and abuse, personality disorders, sexuality, alcohol and drugs and other issues.

Free support provided by NMTAFE

NMTAFE has a Student Support structure in place to ensure you can access the help you need to reach your goals of completing a qualification and obtain work relevant to your skills. 

If you are experiencing mental distress, for example, anxiety, panic episodes, depression, you can have 3 appointments at no cost with NMTAFE’s external Psychology service, PeopleSense.

How do I book an appointment with People Sense?

Speak to your lecturer, who will help you make the booking. The lecturer will give you a Student Consent Form, which you complete and return to the lecturer. This will then be sent to PeopleSense as confirmation of the referral, and you will receive a copy. You then contact PeopleSense to book an appointment, with the instructions provided in the Student Consent Form.

Alternatively, the lecturer can send you an email with the Student Consent information, which you complete and, by clicking the link in the email, reply to NMTAFE's Wellbeing Support team, who contact PeopleSense to confirm your referral. You then book an appointment with PeopleSense using the information your lecturer has provided.

School students should contact their school for support in the first instance.

If you are a student with a diagnosed mental health condition and are on medication, or require other support recommended by your medical practitioner to manage your studies, then you are encouraged to contact our Accessibility and Learning Support team

T  9427 1314

Other services you can contact for help

You can book an appointment with a Doctor/General Practitioner if you are experiencing mental health issues. You may already have a family or a regular GP.  You can ask your GP for a Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP). They will conduct a short assessment and may suggest psychological intervention, medication or both as a way of helping you recover.  If a MHCP is provided, and if you are on a low income or Centrelink payments, you can access six free psychology sessions initially, with further free sessions available if necessary. Most GP’s work with local psychology practices and will refer you.

Free counselling provided by external services

The services provided by the external services below are all suitable to be accessed by young adults.

Located in Joondalup, Osborne Park, Midland, Rockingham and Fremantle. 
W in a new tab)   
 (08) 9208 9555

Headspace is a free and confidential service that helps young people aged 12-25 with health & wellbeing services. 

Headspace Osborne Park includes the following free services: 

  • Youth counsellor 
  • Alcohol & Drug counsellor
  • Bulk-billing Psychology Services (under a GP Mental Health Care Plan) 
  • Youth Early Psychosis Program 
  • Sexual Education and Sexuality Counselling 
  • Support for family & carers of young people with mental health issues 

Located in Burswood, Joondalup, Leederville, Rockingham 
W in a new tab)

Youth Focus is a for-purpose organisation that creates brighter futures for young people in Western Australia by offering a range of mental health services. 

Located in Leederville
W in a new tab)  

Y Counselling offers a wide range of youth services that encourage young people to develop in body, mind and spirit. Their focus is on supporting young people on their journey to becoming their healthiest, happiest selves. 

Located in East Perth and Burswood

DAYS is a free and confidential service that provides young people and their families with access to a comprehensive range of alcohol and drug services. 

Located in Perth
W in a new tab)

SARC provides emergency services including medical, forensic and counselling support, up to 2 weeks after a sexual assault. The first step for getting help at SARC is to telephone the service.


Contact in an emergency after a sexual assault
You can telephone SARC at any time of the day or night following a recent sexual assault.

T 1800 199 888 (free call from landlines)


Contact for Crisis Counselling
If you are in crisis emotionally, you can speak to a SARC counsellor over the telephone between 8.30am and 11pm any day of the week.

T (08) 6458 1828


Request a Counselling appointment
Telephone SARC between 8.30am and 4.30pm to request a counselling appointment.

T (08) 6458 1828


SARC services are available to: 

  • People of all genders 
  • People 13 years of age and older 
  • People affected by sexual assault, including rape; and sexual abuse 
  • Family members and partners of a person who has experienced sexual violence .

Perpetrators of sexual violence cannot use SARC services, even if they are also a victim of sexual violence. 

Homelessness and emergency housing support in a new tab)  

Centrecare is a Catholic organisation providing extensive outreach and specialised counselling services, in the metropolitan and regional areas of Western Australia. Services include accommodation and support, including support for people at risk of homelessness, financial counselling, gambling help, youth and family support services, indigenous specific services, and family dispute resolution services. 

W in a new tab)  

Anglicare is an Anglican Church-run organisation providing support to families, youth, children, LBTQI counselling for sexual abuse support, financial assistance, disability services, youth, parenting, separation counselling services, homelessness and housing, and domestic violence support.

Y-Shac, run by Anglicare, assists young people aged 15 to 20 years old who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness in crisis accommodation and youth aged 16 to 25 years old who are in transitional housing.


Contact for Y-Shac Rockingham
T (08) 9523 3400



Contact for Y-Shac Spearwood
T (08) 9412 0673


(08) 9272 1333

55 Central is a crisis accommodation service, for single adult males between 18 and 65 years old.

More online resources

Head to Health
W in a new tab)

 The federal government website Head to Health can help you find digital mental health services from some of Australia’s most trusted mental health organisations. Provides apps, online programs, online forums, and phone services, as well as a range of digital information resources.