Skip to main content
Menu Menu

Student obligations and responsibilities

Your enrolment at North Metropolitan TAFE is subject to you agreeing to meet the following obligations:

Student code of conduct

You must comply with the Student Code of Conduct, which defines your required conduct in respect to student academic integrity and personal behaviour. The Code defines what constitutes misconduct and the sanctions that can be imposed. Cheating and antisocial behaviour is treated very seriously and may result in your suspension or exclusion from North Metropolitan TAFE.

TAFE International Code of Conduct (248 KB) (PDF document) 

Payment of fees
Payment of fees in full at time of enrolment

If you have paid your fees in full at time of enrolment, you have met your financial obligations. You may be eligible for a refund if you withdraw, please refer to the refund conditions.

Payment by instalments

If you have entered into a direct debit - Payment Plan, which is a legally binding agreement, you are required to ensure you have sufficient funds to pay the agreed instalments on the due date. Defaulting on your instalments/payments will result in penalty charges. Arrangements must be made to pay outstanding instalments to avoid access to services being cancelled. North Metropolitan TAFE will seek to recover any outstanding funds through a debt collection agency. Please be aware, subject to the Refund Policy, if you are on a Payment Plan, you may be liable for unpaid fees even if you withdraw.

Students that wish to enrol in a subject that they have already passed are not entitled to state funding for their second attempt.  In this instance students will be required to pay the full cost of the unit (commercial rate).

Unique Student Identifier

Under the Student Identifiers Act 2014 all students, will require a Unique Student Identifier (USI).

Students must get their Unique Student Identifier (USI) from the USI registry and then submit it together with their Student Statistical Information Form at enrolment. North Metropolitan TAFE has a legal responsibility to collect and submit a Unique Student Identifier and statistical information for all students as part of its funding obligations.

A student’s enrolment will be cancelled, if they do not submit a USI.

Changes to your enrolment

You must formally request to make any enrolment amendments by attending in person at a Student Services counter.

Enrolment amendments include:

  • Name changes (documentary evidence must be provided)
  • Withdrawing from one or more units (this can be done via the withdrawal form available on our website)
  • Contact details changes (this can also be done on Student Portal).

Enrolling in additional units or transferring to another class or course must be done at the academic area (additional fees may apply).

Withdrawing from a course

If you choose not to continue with your studies you must complete the withdrawal form. Until this notification is received, your enrolment will remain active.

Please note 
If you do not formally withdraw you will receive a re-enrol result.
Please refer to the refund policy to check eligibility for a refund or a reduction in your fees upon withdrawal.

Obligations of students in receipt of Centrelink allowances

If you are in receipt of a Youth Allowance or Austudy/Abstudy, you must maintain a full-time study load to remain eligible for these payments.
You must advise Centrelink immediately if you:

  • Amend or reduce your enrolled hours
  • Change your course of study
  • Stop studying
  • Commence employment
  • Change hours of work or employment income
  • Change address.

You can update your details using your Centrelink online account. More information can be found on the Services Australia website .


State-funded places are available only to permanent residents and holders of select visa subclasses. Non-residents must pay commercial fees. If you are on a student visa, you must apply through TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA).


Results will not be given over the phone.  Your results are available via the Student portal. If you require an official copy of your results before completing your course, you can request a copy via our website.

Please note Students who enrol in assessable units or examinable subjects and do not complete assessment requirements will receive a re-enrol result