In order to qualify for a refund, students must formally withdraw from the Unit of Competency or Course by completing the online Withdrawal form.
It is not sufficient to verbally inform someone at North Metropolitan TAFE of your intention to withdraw.
When calculating a refund of course fees for a student whose fees have been capped, the refund will be relative to the amount paid and conditional to this amount covering the payable fee after withdrawal. If the fees credited still exceed the fee cap amount then no refund of course fees will be payable.
Refunds of Tuition and/or Resource fees will be granted in the following circumstances:
Refund of fees on withdrawal
- Certificate I to IV students - If you withdraw formally prior on or before the census date for your unit/s you will receive a refund consisting of a 100% refund of the tuition fee and 50% of the resource fee. Please note that for these courses, 50% of the resource fee will be retained even if classes are yet to commence. Students on a payment plan might still have a payable fee after withdrawal.
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma students. Students who withdraw formally on or before the Census Date for their unit/s will receive a full refund of fees. Upfront part or full payments will be reimbursed. If you are deferring payments through VET Student Loan Scheme, no debt will be incurred with the Commonwealth Government.
No incidental fees will be refunded. Any other fees paid will be refunded according to instructions laid down by the learning portfolio area in which the student is enrolled.
Please check your enrolment form for the actual Census Date for your unit/s. Your enrolment record can be accessed via the student portal or on your enrolment summary sheet.
Full refund of fees
A full refund of tuition and resource fees paid will be granted in the event of the following:
- A course/qualification or module/unit is cancelled or re-scheduled to a time unsuitable to the student.
- A student is not given a place due to maximum number of places being reached.
The Managing Director may approve a pro rata refund of fees at any time during the course of delivery if students withdraw for reasons of personal circumstances beyond their control.
- Serious illness resulting in extended absence from classes
- Injury or disability that prevents the student from completing their program of study
- In all cases, relevant documentary evidence is required.
Students transferring course enrolments within North Metropolitan TAFE
If a student transfers from one course to another course within North Metropolitan TAFE within the first four (4) weeks of semester, fees paid to date will be transferred to the new course.
Fees will not be transferred to courses that commence in a different semester. The student is liable for any additional fee. If the fee in the new course is lower, a refund will be granted in accordance with the refund policy.
Our refund conditions are available on the back of your enrolment form, please check this form for any further details.
This refund policy applies only to publicly funded courses. It does not apply to:
- Commercial courses or commercial fee paying students. Refunds for these courses are at the discretion of the portfolio managing the course.
- Short courses. Check refund conditions for these courses when enrolling.
- International students. They must contact the International Centre Advisor.