As you will appreciate, the learning and social environment at North Metropolitan TAFE is very different from secondary education.
You and your son/daughter may find it useful to consider the issues and differences outlined below.
Various policies and procedures outline what you can expect from us, and in turn, what conduct we expect from you.
Our Student Handbook (1 MB) (PDF document) is a useful resource for understanding some of our policies and procedures.
- If planning to enrol you are required to sign a Consent and Health Care Information form and a birth certificate to Student Services at any of our campuses.
- A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is also required to be able to enrol at North Metropolitan TAFE. This is a number unique to each student and can be used at any training organisation or provider. The USI is available online at no cost and will stay with you for life. This means all results will be kept in one online account that you control.
North Metropolitan TAFE does not provide direct supervision of students outside of classroom lectures.
As part of North Metropolitan TAFE's commitment to providing a safe and responsible environment, you will be asked to sign a Consent and Health information form, confirming you agree to your child being a student at North Metropolitan TAFE. The form will be emailed to all new students who will be under 18 at the commencement of their course.
Signing of the Consent and Health Information form is valid for this course. Each new course enrolment will require the completion of another Consent and Health Information form.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Consent and Health Information, please contact our Duty of Care Officer.
Students will receive a course induction at which a program outline and timetable outlining their scheduled classes/activities will be issued.
We strongly advise that you discuss the timetable with the enrolled student to ensure such things as transport to and from the college and activities between class instructions are constructively used.
Attendance is recorded in every class. If your child is absent from an entire scheduled on campus class you will be notified within three (3) working days of the absence.
If you change your address and/or telephone contact details please ensure you contact the relevant administration area to update this information.
If your child is undertaking an apprenticeship you will not be notified of their absence, however, North Metropolitan TAFE will inform their employer of the absence.
North Metropolitan TAFE will provide parents/guardians with information on excursions prior to the event and written parental consent will be sought for students under 18 to participate in any excursions away from college premises.
If parental consent is not given, your child will not be able to attend the excursion and North Metropolitan TAFE will not provide an alternative supervised activity.
Students may be required to make their own way to excursions in these situations; you will be responsible for organising transport to and from excursions for your child.
North Metropolitan TAFE strives to provide an environment that supports the health and wellbeing of all of our students.
- Follow the relevant OSH policy, guidelines and practices
- Provide first-aid assistance to students
- Provide assistance and if necessary arrange for qualified medical personnel in case of an emergency
- Promote a friendly and inclusive environment where bullying and any form of harassment are not accepted. Any student experiencing bullying or harassment of any kind should inform a North Metropolitan TAFE staff member immediately
- All relevant staff will have a Working with Children Check subject to the Work with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004.
- Implement the Emergency Response Plan in case of an emergency.
- You will be contacted if your child is seriously injured.
If you would like to discuss any concerns regarding the health care for your child, please contact our Duty of Care Officer.
Students are not covered for Personal Accident whilst on campus.
However, North Metropolitan TAFE does hold cover with the Insurance Commission of WA (RiskCover) that provides Personal Accident cover for students who are undertaking unpaid work experience that is allocated or arranged by North Metropolitan TAFE.
Personal Accident cover is also extended to those students attending any official college camp, excursion, trip or other similar activity (excluding sports days other than interstate sporting events, carnivals or national championships) which is approved and organised by North Metropolitan TAFE.
The onus is placed on the parents in relation to whether they arrange their own Personal Accident insurance or private health cover for their child and it is strongly recommended that all students obtain personal insurance and ambulance cover.