COVID-19 updates
Aged care
CNC Machining.jpg
Home | Getting started | Higher education student support

Higher education student support

Important information, policies, responsibilities and forms
We value you as one of our students. We place great importance on ensuring that you have a positive experience while attending North Metropolitan TAFE.
Various policies and procedures outline what you can expect from us and in turn, what conduct we can expect from you.
For all general North Metropolitan TAFE policies and other important documents, please refer to our Policies and responsibilities page under Current Students.
Key dates
Term dates
Public holidays

Wednesday 25 December    Christmas Day
Thursday 26 December         Boxing Day

 ​How to lodge an appea​l against an academic or administrative decision including the following:
   • Academic appeals
   • Admission appeals
   • Enrolment appeals
   • Deferred assessment appeals
   • Graduation appeals
   • Withdrawal/ Deferment /Leave of absence appeals
   • Credit for Recognised Prior Learning appeals
​All information regarding student appeals is detailed in the Academic Appeals policy and procedure.
Higher Education Appeals Policy
Higher Education Appeals Procedure
Higher Education Appeals Flowcharts
Higher Education Appeals Info Sheet

To appeal a decision made by North Metropolitan TAFE, please read and follow the instructions below carefully.
Step 1 Identify the grounds for your appeal
You may lodge an appeal to a decision relating to academic assessment or progress status on the following grounds:
​   1. A procedural irregularity has occurred
   2. There is new information that could not reasonably have been provided at or prior to the decision, and that will probably have affected the decision made
   3. The decision or penalty was manifestly wrong, excessive, or unfair in the circumstances.

You may lodge an appeal to a decision relating to misconduct on the following grounds:
   1. There was failure to comply with procedural fairness
   2. There is evidence relating to an allegation of misconduct that was not reasonably ascertainable by the student at or prior to the decision, as the case may be, and that would probably have affected the decision or any penalty imposed
   3. The decision and/or penalty were manifestly wrong, excessive or unfair.

Step 2 Draft a letter of appeal
​If you believe that you have grounds for an appeal then write a letter which:
   1. ​​States the grounds for appeal as outlined above
   2. Includes as much information and detail as possible
   3. Where appropriate, provides relevant evidence supporting the grounds on which you wish to appeal against the decision. Evidence may include documents such as medical certificates, letters of support, travel documents, insurance documents, etc.

Copies of these documents must be certified.

We suggest that you use the following Letter of Appeal  template for decision relating to academic assessment or progress status. The following Letter of Appeal  template should be used for matters relating to misconduct.
Higher Education Student Appeal Letter

Step 3 Submit your letter of appeal and supporting documents
Your Letter of Appeal must be submitted to your Portfolio Director within 20 working days of receiving notification of the decision that has been issued from North Metropolitan TAFE.
Your Letter of Appeal and supporting documents should be emailed to your Portfolio Director.

Art & Design:

or sent to:
Portfolio ​Director Commerce / Art & Design
Locked Bag 6
Northbridge WA 6865

Once submitted, your Letter of Appeal will be reviewed and deliberated upon by your Portfolio Director. Once a decision regarding your appeal has been made, you will be advised by your Portfolio Director within three working days.
IMPORTANT Provided that your Learning Area has no objections, you should continue to attend classes and submit the requisite assignments until your appeal outcome is decided.

For information about the academic misconduct appeals please refer to the following documents:​
Higher Education Academic Misconduct Policy
Higher Education Academic Misconduct Procedure

 Deferment/Leave of Absence
 If you have not yet enrolled in your course, you may request to defer from your course and start at a later semester intake. If you have already enrolled in your course but need to take a break, you may apply for a leave of absence.

If you have received a written offer of a place in a higher education course and you wish to defer, you must submit a written application must be made within two weeks of receiving the letter of offer.
Please be aware that the maximum period of deferment will be 12 months however deferment for a period of six months may be granted where appropriate. Deferment cannot be offered once you have enrolled.

Leave of Absence
Once you have enrolled, you may apply for leave from studies extending for at least one teaching period and up to one year.
A first application for leave will normally be granted automatically provided the Course Coordinator is satisfied that the reasons you provide are appropriate.
A second application will be scrutinised more closely but will be accepted on grounds such as: physical or mental ill health, financial hardship, or clear loss of motivation. If you are granted a second period of leave you will be warned that third applications may not succeed unless the grounds for leave are serious.
If your performance warrants appearance before an academic progress committee your application for absence of leave will only be considered after a decision by the Course Coordinator and Manager of Higher Education has been reached.

Please read closely the following documents if you are considering Deferment or Leave of Absence:​
Deferment and Leave of Absence Policy
Deferment and Leave of Absence Procedure
Higher Education Deferment and Leave of Absence Application

​Withdrawing or amending your enrolment 
​Changes to your enrolment
You must formally request to make any enrolment amendments by attending in person at a Student Services counter.

Enrolment amendments include:
   • Name changes (documentary evidence must be provided)
   • Withdrawing from one or more units (this can be done via the withdrawal form available on our website)
   • Contact details changes (this can also be done on Student Portal)

Enrolling in additional units or transferring to another class or course must be done at the academic area (additional fees may apply)

Withdrawing from your course
If you choose not to continue with your studies you must complete the Higher Education Withdrawal and Refund Application form available below. Once completed, take to your Course Coordinator. Until this notification is received, your enrolment will remain active.
If you do not formally withdraw you will receive a fail result and be ineligible for a refund.

Refund of tuition fees
If you are seeking a refund, you must officially withdraw from the relevant Unit or Course by completing the Higher Education Withdrawal and Refund Application form available below and take this to your Course Coordinator. Lecturers cannot accept verbal notifications.
Higher Education Withdrawal and Refund Application form

Delivery changes
Full refund granted if course or unit is cancelled or rescheduled to a time unsuitable to the student, a student is not given a place due to maximum number of places being reached, or other circumstances as determined by us.

Withdraw on or before the census date
If you withdraw formally on or before the Census Date from your unit/s, you will receive a full refund. Upfront part or full payments will be reimbursed. If deferring payment through FEE-HELP, no debt will be incurred with the Commonwealth Government. No incidental fees are refunded.
Important Please check your enrolment record to confirm the actual Census Date for your unit/s. Your enrolment record can be accessed via the Student Portal.

Withdraw after census date
Students who formally withdraw after the Census Date from their unit/s will receive no refund of Tuition Fees. If deferring payment through FEE-HELP, you will incur a debt with the Commonwealth Government.

Withdraw on or before the 'Without Academic Penalty Date'
Students who formally withdraw on or before the Without Academic Penalty Date will incur no academic penalty. To check this date and any other important dates please see the Higher Education page​.
Higher Education Withdrawal and Refu​nd ​Application form
Higher Education Withdrawal and Refund Procedure
Higher Education Withdrawal and Refund Guidelines
Higher Education Withdrawal Flowchart

 Course progression
Policies about unsatisfactory progression in your course
The following information outlines the procedure should it be deemed that you are not making satisfactory progress in your course. You will be provided with assistance by your portfolio and student advisors.

Higher Education Student Progress Policy
Higher Education Student Progress Procedure
Higher Education Grading & Resulting Policy
Conferring Academic Qualifications Policy
Conferring Academic Qualifications Procedure

Graduation policy and procedure​
Applying to graduate
You must have completed the necessary number of credit points relevant to the award you are enrolled in. If you have been granted supplementary or deferred examination pending results, or have outstanding components of your course, you will not be eligible to graduate. We retain discretionary power to delay a student's graduation, to be used only in exceptional circumstances.

Staff and Students each have responsibilities when it comes time to graduate.
You will need to submit an "Intention to Graduate" form to your portfolio and you will need to confirm your formal name and mailing address so that we can send you your award
Staff will confirm that you have met the completion requirements of your course, they will provide confirmation to you of the success of your application and they will recommend the conferral of your award to the Governing Council via the Higher Education Committee.

Higher Education Graduation Policy 
Higher Education​ Graduation Procedure
Higher Education Intention to Graduate

​Exams and assessment 
Examinations policy
The following examinations policy outlines your responsibilities and those of the examiners.
It outlines:
   • When and where exams are held, when the exam is scheduled and when you will be notified about your exam.
   • The duration of your exam
   • The responsibilities of the examiners
   • Your conduct during the exam
   • What happens if you miss an exam
   • What occurs if you are ill
   • How final unit results are released.​​

Higher Education Examination Policy 

Student Late Assessment Application
Student Assessment Policy
Student Assessment Procedure

Credit for recognised learning
​If you are applying for Credit of Recognised Learning, you must follow the procedure outlined in the document below.

You will need to fill in the approved credit transfer form.
If you completed your prior learning at another institute, you must provide official academic records and transcripts as well as a certified, detailed description of the unit.

Any academic transcripts or records must be:
   • Originals or certified true copies
   • In English or accompanied by a certified translated copy in English
   • Provided by the applicant in person or by post​

If you are seeking credit for studies completed here​, you do not require supporting documentation.​​

Credit for Recognised Learning Policy
Credit for Recognised Learning Procedure
Application for Credit for Recognised Learning
Higher Education Credit for Recognised Learning Guidelines

 Student feedback
As a student you are welcome to provide feedback about your higher education experience at North Metropolitan TAFE.

For more information about providing feedback, please refer to the following documents:​ 
Higher Education Feedback Policy
Higher Education Feedback Procedure

 Other policies and procedures
Student satisfaction is extremely important to us.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of Higher Education at North Metropolitan TAFE you are welcome to lodge a complaint. Please refer to our Policies and responsibilities page. 
Page last updated July 25, 2019