It's what's on the inside that counts
The Diploma of Interior Design will give you an understanding of the nature of environmental space and spatial ambience, with the ability to manipulate the relationship of spaces, objects and products within the surrounding space. You'll develop the ability to approach a variety of design problems with creativity, a high level of competence and sensitivity to the requirements of the design brief.
This two-year qualification provides the practical skills and knowledge to develop a range of decoration and design services and provide interior design advice. Design projects enable the development of spatial planning skills to design some residential, commercial and institutional interiors.
You will be working on simulated live projects with many different briefs from a wide range of industry disciplines. There are also opportunities to participate in industry visits and enter competitions that also engages with industry.
As a graduate, you will be well prepared to enter into the workforce as a design consultant or continue to the Advanced Diploma to develop high level skills as interior designers.
North Metropolitan TAFE is an Educational Member of the Design Institute of Australia (DIA). This qualification is listed as a recognised course on the DIA website.
- Develop and respond to client briefs, specifying furniture, finishes and equipment colours, lighting, hard and soft materials, fixtures and furniture
- Design spatial planning
- Hand drawing skills
- Auto CAD applications
- Document and illustrate design proposals
I have the following attributes:
- A passion for spatial design and excellent problem-solving skills
- Creativity, imagination and artistic flair
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good colour sense and an eye for detail
- Discipline and good organisational skills
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
Other job titles may include:
- Self-Employment as an Interior Decorator | Colour Consultant | Interior Stylist
- In-house Interior Designer or Decorator for design and decoration consultancies, furniture, furnishings and fabric suppliers, furnishing departments of retail stores or shop fitters
- Commercial Interior Designer
- Environmental Designer
- Residential Interior Designer
- Retail Interior Designer
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Work may require access to construction sites and require construction induction training and certification covered by the unit CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.
Semester 1, 2022
Perth - On Campus
|When||Semester 1, 2022|