It's what's on the inside that counts
The Diploma of Interior Design will give you an understanding of the nature of environmental space and spatial ambience, with the ability to manipulate the relationship of spaces, objects and products within the surrounding space. You'll develop the ability to approach a variety of design problems with creativity, a high level of competence and sensitivity to the requirements of the design brief.
This two-year qualification provides the practical skills and knowledge to develop a range of decoration and design services and provide interior design advice. Design projects enable the development of spatial planning skills to design some residential, commercial and institutional interiors.
You will be working on simulated live projects with many different briefs from a wide range of industry disciplines. There are also opportunities to participate in industry visits and enter competitions that also engages with industry.
As a graduate, you will be well prepared to enter into the workforce as a design consultant or continue to the Advanced Diploma to develop high level skills as interior designers.
North Metropolitan TAFE is an Educational Member of the Design Institute of Australia (DIA). This qualification is listed as a recognised course on the DIA website.
- Develop and respond to client briefs, specifying furniture, finishes and equipment colours, lighting, hard and soft materials, fixtures and furniture
- Design spatial planning
- Hand drawing skills
- Auto CAD applications
- Document and illustrate design proposals
I have the following attributes:
- A passion for spatial design and excellent problem-solving skills
- Creativity, imagination and artistic flair
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good colour sense and an eye for detail
- Discipline and good organisational skills
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
Other job titles may include:
- Self-Employment as an Interior Decorator | Colour Consultant | Interior Stylist
- In-house Interior Designer or Decorator for design and decoration consultancies, furniture, furnishings and fabric suppliers, furnishing departments of retail stores or shop fitters
- Commercial Interior Designer
- Environmental Designer
- Residential Interior Designer
- Retail Interior Designer
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Work may require access to construction sites and require construction induction training and certification covered by the unit CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry.
North Metropolitan TAFE offers you a range of further study opportunities, see below for a list of related courses.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.