Gear up for a career in engineering
This course will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge in electrical machinery, mechanical principles and mechanical equipment to produce drawings for design specifications.
Mechanical engineering is applied across a wide variety of employment areas including:
- Mining and mineral processing
- Oil and gas industry
- Automotive industry
- Aviation and shipbuilding industries
- Electrical power generation and distribution
- Road and rail transport
- Agriculture, fishing and food processing
The Diploma of Engineering - Technical (Mechanical) is geared toward mechanical design but does have some electrical, electronics and programming content.
- Use and operate computer-aided (CAD) system to produce drawings and create 3D models
- Set up basic hydraulic circuits
- Apply technical mathematics
- Produce basic engineering design drawings
- Coordinate engineering projects
- Environmentally sustainable work practices
I have the following attributes:
- Mathematics ability
- Eye for detail and accuracy
- Technical and mechanical aptitude
- Problem-solving skills
- Communication skills
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
This course will be run at our East Perth campus with some lab work based at NMT's Perth campus (30 Aberdeen St building).
Other job titles may include:
- Junior Drafter
- Junior Project Supervisor
- Engineering Associate
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills(opens in a new tab) program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees from 1 January to 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee).
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.