Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Gain a competitive edge to employment in this fast-growing industry
This qualification will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work with clients experiencing complex situations requiring advanced interviewing and communication skills in a community services setting.
During the course you will gain industry experience and grow your expertise. You may find yourself working in the areas of mental health, drugs and alcohol abuse, family and domestic violence, housing, adolescent development, or parenting and relationships - completing this course will give you a competitive edge to secure employment in this fast-growing industry.
This course may be of particular interest to graduates of Diploma or higher in community services, youth work, mental health, allied field or applicants already working in these industries.
- Build and facilitate counselling relationships with clients
- Reflect on and improve your own professional practice
- Recognise and respond to crisis situations
- Research and apply personality and development theories
- Work legally and ethically
I have the following attributes:
- 18+ years of age
- Able to undertake research and apply myself to self directed activities
- Broad-minded and non-judgemental
- Able to keep information confidential
- Able to relate to people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
Employer-based training offers a flexible, self-paced study program which combines workplace recognition of prior learning and individualised ‘gap’ training to attain your qualification.
This means every time you go to work you are learning and demonstrating competence whilst working towards your qualification. The flexibility of Employer-based training allows you to structure and perform learning and assessment in a way that fits into your professional and personal life.
Learning and assessment plans are created on an individual level in consultation with you and/or your employer. Assessment is conducted using numerous methods including practical demonstration and observation, question and answer interviews, written tasks, supervisor reports and workshops.
To enquire or enrol please fill out the Course Enquiry Form.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
We recommend that you are over the age of 18 before enrolling in this course as the fieldwork placement and employment outcomes are very limited for students under the age of 18.
* You will need to be enrolled in the appropriate units to be offered a work placement - it is not a standard for all enrolments.
The Diploma of Counselling is available as a broad-based qualification with a focus on community services work.
At this level support workers and case workers may provide day-to-day support in community settings and provide assistance with entitlements and benefits under the broad direction of others.
Completion may lead to university study in Social Science/Work, Psychology, Counselling, or Youth Work.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.