How would you like to be part of a team producing beautiful food in one of WA's restaurants, cafes, bars, resorts or hotels?
This skill set covers all the 'must know' skills that employers are looking for, so you'll be skills ready and job ready. It covers how to follow organisational infection prevention and control procedures, including implementing standard and transmission-based precautions and responding to infection risks to ensure you're working safely.
In the Commercial Kitchen skill set, you'll learn about the safe use of commercial kitchen equipment, how to clean food preparation areas, storage areas, and equipment efficiently and minimising negative environmental impacts, preventing food contamination including how to identify and control food hazards, and gain general kitchen and food preparation skills.
Jobs that could lead from this skill set includes cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen stewards, kitchen hands, and bar and food and beverage servers and attendants.
This skill set is available for free to residents of Western Australia who fall into one of the following categories.
- Persons aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding students enrolled at school)
- Persons and dependents of persons receiving JobKeeper payment
- Persons and dependents of persons in receipt of services from one of the following Commonwealth support or employment services programs:
- Online Employment Services
- Persons and dependents of persons receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- Persons and dependents of persons holding:
- a pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Dependents of persons who are inmates of a custodial institution.
Who is not eligible
- Persons living outside of Western Australia, or Australia, are not eligible.
- International students and people on a student visa are not eligible.
- Students who are still at school are not eligible and cannot enrol in the free skill sets.
The Department of Training and Workforce Development’s VET Fees and charges policy(opens in a new tab) - outlines eligibility for subsidised training in WA.
Duration 8 weeks, on Wednesdays
Next course Wednesday 21 July
Time 8:00am - 4:30pm
Please note If you are not eligible for fee free training, the following fees apply.
* Tuition fees only; resources fees may also apply.
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.