How would you like to be part of a team producing beautiful food in one of WA's restaurants, cafes, bars, resorts or hotels?
This skill set covers all the 'must know' skills that employers are looking for, so you'll be skills ready and job ready. It covers how to follow organisational infection prevention and control procedures, including implementing standard and transmission-based precautions and responding to infection risks to ensure you're working safely.
In the Commercial Kitchen skill set, you'll learn about the safe use of commercial kitchen equipment, how to clean food preparation areas, storage areas, and equipment efficiently and minimising negative environmental impacts, preventing food contamination including how to identify and control food hazards, and gain general kitchen and food preparation skills.
Jobs that could lead from this skill set includes cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen stewards, kitchen hands, and bar and food and beverage servers and attendants.
This skill set is available for free to residents of Western Australia who fall into one of the following categories.
- Persons aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding students enrolled at school)
- Persons and dependents of persons receiving JobKeeper payment
- Persons and dependents of persons in receipt of services from one of the following Commonwealth support or employment services programs:
- Online Employment Services
- Persons and dependents of persons receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- Persons and dependents of persons holding:
- a pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Dependents of persons who are inmates of a custodial institution.
Who is not eligible
- Persons living outside of Western Australia, or Australia, are not eligible.
- International students and people on a student visa are not eligible.
- Students who are still at school are not eligible and cannot enrol in the free skill sets.
The Department of Training and Workforce Development’s VET Fees and charges policy(opens in a new tab) - outlines eligibility for subsidised training in WA.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.