Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
A career by design
This course will expose you to drafting residential buildings within the building and construction industry. You'll develop the knowledge and skills you'll need to draft residential buildings, both single and double storey. The skills you gain are practical and hands-on and as part of the course you will be required to design and document a residential project with an industry mentor. This practical experience will prove valuable in gaining employment and beginning your career in this industry.
Our building design and construction qualifications provide you with skills that are relevant to current industry trends and practices.
- Create working drawings for residential projects
- Create design concept drawings for residential projects
- Understand construction technology and materials
- Use 3D software (ArchiCAD)
- Learn principles of passive solar design, environmental design
- Rules and regulations for council approval
- Understand building sustainability for Australian conditions
I have the following attributes:
- Spatial awareness
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Comfortable working with computers
- Good time management skills
Completion of Year 12 with communication and mathematics skills, or equivalent.
Other costs for consideration:
- Text Books
- 3.5 days per week
Other job titles may include:
- Builder Drafter
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
North Metropolitan TAFE offers you a range of further study opportunities, see below for a list of related courses.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills(opens in a new tab) program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees from 1 January to 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee).
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.