Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Further develop your practical laboratory skills
This course will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to work as a technical assistant, technician or instrument operator. You will learn about quality control, performance of instrumental and non-instrumental tests, standardisation and the use of solutions.
Your Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques is available via traineeship so you can earn while you learn and gain on the job skills that will stay with you for your entire career. Studying at North Metro TAFE will also expose you to our well equipped facilities and highly trained lecturers who'll give you the best shot at a career in science and laboratory operations.
- Carry out experiments
- Take measurements with scientific equipment
- Record results and present them for critical analysis
- OHS and safe laboratory practice in the field and in a laboratory
I have the following attributes:
- A strong interest in science and chemistry
- Able to adhere to workplace safety standards
- Good communication skills and able to work as part of a team
- Normal colour vision
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|C Grades in Year 11 WACE General English, and OLNA; or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 11 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate II or Certificate III|
- Chemistry Technician Assistant | Earth Science Technician Assistant | Life Science Technician Assistant | School Laboratory Technician Assistant
Other job titles may include:
- Laboratory Assistant | Laboratory Technician
- Technical Assistant
- Instrument Operator
- Sampler and Tester
- Production Personnel
- Field Assistant
- Sample Couriers
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
North Metropolitan TAFE offers you a range of further study opportunities, see below for a list of related courses.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees until 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee). Please see below an approximate estimate of what you will pay on enrolment.
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.