Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Focus on fitness, indoors, outdoors or even online
If you have a passion for health and fitness and want to help others achieve a healthier lifestyle, Personal Training is the career for you.
The Certificate IV in Fitness provides you with the skills and knowledge to begin your career as a Personal Trainer. Learn how to develop safe and effective programs for a range of clients, including older adults, disabilities, teens, sports performance and general populations. You could find yourself working for independent gyms, council run recreation centres, sporting clubs, private companies, or as a self employed sole trader delivering customised one-on-one or group training.
Practical training will be conducted in fully equipped gym facilities located at our Perth or Joondalup campuses, as well as various outdoor venues.
Why choose North Metro TAFE? Many gyms employ our fitness graduates. You will work with real clients and start building your own networks with work placement. Our highly experienced and passionate lecturers will provide you with a great start to your career in the fitness industry.
- Deliver fitness programs to older adults, children and people with specific needs
- Advanced strength and conditioning techniques and programming
- Use a wide range of indoor and outdoor equipment in fitness programs
- Work with allied health professionals
- Sales and marketing to build your own client base or business
I have the following attributes:
- Basic math skills
- Basic computer literacy
- Physically fit and active
- Passionate about helping others achieve their health & fitness goals
- Enthusiastic, energetic & customer-focused individual
- Able to cope with physical and psychological demands of the job
- Exceptional multi-tasking skills and “can do” attitude
Completion of SIS30315 AWN5 Certificate III in Fitness(opens in a new tab) or equivalent.
You will be required to complete on-the-job experience in industry, this may include early morning, lunchtime or late afternoon shifts outside of normal class time.
The qualification does not provide the skills and knowledge for an individual to provide advice or exercise instruction to high risk clients, other than to refer the client to an appropriate medical or allied health professional.
Classes are conducted face to face over 3 days per week and work placements form part of the requirements of this course.
Upon graduation, students may obtain registration with the industry peak body (Fitness Australia) as a Personal Trainer in order to gain employment within the fitness industry delivering a range of individualised or group exercise programs to a variety of clients and/or client groups. Graduates may also operate as sole traders or contractors within gym or recreation centre facility.
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
The majority of Personal Trainers registering with Fitness Australia complete ongoing education and professional development as required component of their ongoing professional registration. In addition, the qualification also provides a pathway for individuals wishing to acquire higher level qualifications, enrolling in the Diploma of Fitness or transitioning to university, to study Sport Science or Physical Education.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.