Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Engage your passion for working with children and supporting their individual needs
The Certificate IV in Education Support will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to assist the teaching staff in schools and provide care, instruction and supervision in kindergarten, pre-primary, primary and secondary school.
This course is also available through two online study modes, online structured and online self-paced, see the Important information tab below for details. Online is a little different to on-campus study as you do not have face to face contact with your lecturers. If on-campus study is not your preference, then online study is a great option. You will still be supported by your online lecturers. With online study you will be completing your course via an online platform which contains all your study material and assessments. You will be provided a login and password to access this material once you have been enrolled at North Metropolitan TAFE.
No matter how you choose to study, as part of this qualification you will need to undertake a supervised work placement where you will be able to apply the skills and knowledge you have learned in a classroom setting.
Certificate IV in Education Support students are required to obtain a Working with Children Check and a Department of Education Police Clearance before attending work placement. Under 18 students will be required to obtain a Confidential Statutory Declaration.
- Implement planned education programs
- Assist students in their learning and development
- Contribute to the safety and health of students
- Support students with additional needs and disabilities
- Work with children and young people at risk of harm
- Work effectively with culturally diverse students, families and co-workers
I have the following attributes:
- Caring and enthusiastic nature
- Open-minded and flexible to changes
- Adaptable to cater for a diverse range of student needs
- Able to communicate well
- Good reasoning skills
- Good organisational and problem solving skills
- Able to follow directions and guidelines
Follow the link to find further information to help you make an informed choice about the suitability of this course.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|C Grades in Year 11 WACE General English, and OLNA; or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 11 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate II or Certificate III|
As part of this qualification, you will undertake a supervised work placement where you will be able to apply the skills and knowledge you have learned in a classroom setting.
Before attending your work placement you will be required to obtain:
- Working with Children Check
- Department of Education Police Clearance
Under 18 students will be required to obtain a Confidential Statutory Declaration.
In the first week of study, you will be required to sit a literacy and numeracy test to ascertain your suitability for the course.
Online structured - Students will listen to, and participate in, weekly ‘live’ workshops via Blackboard Collaborate as per the timetable. Alternatively, the student may listen to the workshops at home in their own time, and do the follow-up activities from the PowerPoint slide shows presented during the session, however, they must keep to assessment deadlines as per their scheduled timetable/learning plan.
Online self-paced - Students work at their own pace, in their own time. The course content is provided to students through our online learning platform, Blackboard, in a flexible mode of delivery. Students work through materials provided online, with the support and guidance of an online lecturer. Online materials may include readings, videos, online discussion boards and Blackboard Collaborate sessions (facilitated sessions online).
When applying for your online Course you must choose your preferred option and you cannot change your course option once enrolled.
- Teachers' Aide | Teachers' Assistant | Education Aids | Teachers' Aide | Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Worker
Other job titles may include:
- Integration Aide
- Preschool Aide
- Kindergarten Assistant
- School Services Officer
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Graduates may be eligible for credits or entry to university, check with the relevant university.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.