Do you want to make a difference in other people’s lives? Allied health assistants work with a range of clients to improve quality of life.
Our Mt Lawley campus will be offering the generic range of units to provide you with the skills necessary to seek employment as as an allied health assistant (AHA).
If you are seeking a specialised focus on physiotherapy, this will be offered at our McLarty campus.
You may find employment in both public and private health settings such as hospitals and community rehabilitation, aged care facilities, schools, mental health clinics, private practices and not for profit organisations.
You will learn how to work with children, adults and older people with a range of physical disabilities, mental health conditions, developmental delays, communication difficulties and/or social disadvantage, all done with the knowledge of safe work practices, legal and ethical considerations and current industry standards.
You will gain the required knowledge and skills through classroom discussions, simulation activities and workplace learning. Then you will undertake six weeks of full-time placement which North Metropolitan TAFE organises for you via our range of industry partners. Online learning makes up a small part of the course delivery but you will also have access to online resources to reinforce classroom learning.
You will have access to a team of allied health professionals who are able to share their experiences and support your learning throughout the course.
Some students have gone on to study allied health degrees at university after this course has ignited their passion.
- Specific therapeutic interventions
- Effective communication with clients and team
- Supporting individual client needs
- Managing therapy groups
- Use of assistive equipment
I have the following attributes:
- Enjoy working with people
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Energetic, positive attitude and passion for helping others
- Caring, understanding, patient and calm
- Emotional maturity
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|C Grades in Year 11 WACE General English, and OLNA; or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 11 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate II or Certificate III|
You do not need to have completed a Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance first but some students may find this beneficial especially if you are returning to study after a long break or upon leaving high school. If you enjoy working with people, have strong communication/ interpersonal skills and believe you have the ability to study at a certificate IV level it may be possible for you to enter this course.
In addition to the 16 units this course includes a 120 hour practical placement. This is six weeks of full-time work placement which North Metropolitan TAFE organises for you.
You do not need to have completed a Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance first but some students may find this beneficial especially if returning to study after a long break or upon leaving high school.
If you enjoy working with people, have strong communication/ interpersonal skills and believe you have the ability to study at a certificate IV level it may be possible for you to enter this course.
Other costs in addition to course fees:
- Polo Shirt (approx. $29)
- Police Clearance (approx. $72) prior to commencement of work placement and employment
- Working with Children’s Check (WWC) prior to commencement of work placement and employment
- First Aid Certificate and CPR
- Department of Health Screening Card
- Medical Clearance
Including vaccinations - you will need to provide proof of immunisation against:
- Chicken Pox (Varicella)
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza (annual)
- MRSA test
- TB test results
Other job titles may include:
- Physiotherapy Assistant
- Allied Health Assistant
- Speech Pathology Assistant
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Nutrition Assistant
- Dietetic Assistant
- Therapy Aid
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills(opens in a new tab) program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees from 1 January to 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee).
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.