An essential support service for the health industry
Did you know that over one quarter of all people admitted to hospital have an operation? Many more have treatments that require sterile equipment to be used. You could assist in ensuring that patients are protected from infection during their care.
Being able to work with others and carry out your work safely is an important part of sterilisation work and is covered in this course.
On completion of your course you will be able to work in a private or public hospital, a clinic or an operating theatre sterile supply department.
You'll find our proposed part-time timetable here(opens in a new tab)
- Infection control and prevention
- Clean, inspect, package, sterilise and distribute instruments and equipment for surgical and clinical procedures
- Knowledge of how the body works
- Medical terminology
I have the following attributes:
- A careful and methodical approach to work
- Good communication skills
- Able to follow instructions and adhere to workplace health and safety procedures
- Able to work as part of a team
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Please note: Students enrolled at Joondalup (McLarty Ave) campus will need to attend lab sessions at NMT's Mt Lawley campus one day per week.
Other costs in addition to course fees:
- Polo Shirt (approx. $29)
- Police Clearance (approx. $72) prior to commencement of work placement and employment
- Working with Children’s Check (WWC) prior to commencement of work placement and employment
- Department of Health Screening Card
Including vaccinations - you will need to provide proof of immunisation against:
- Chicken Pox (Varicella)
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza (annual)
- MRSA test
- TB screening test results
Other job titles may include:
- Instrument Technician
- Sterilisation Assistant
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.