Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
A hands on career where you can help to make a difference
This qualification provides you with essential laboratory skills needed to carry out recording and measurement of results and assisting in collecting and preparing of samples. You will learn skills in maintaining a laboratory, routine sampling and testing, recording data, and using laboratory computing programs.
Your Certificate III in Laboratory Skills is flexible and available in class or via a traineeship so you can fit study around your life and not the other way around.
Studying at North Metropolitan TAFE you will experience our well equipped facilities and learn from highly trained lecturers who'll give you the best shot at a variety of careers in science and laboratory operations.
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements
- Laboratory practices and equipment
- Prepare cultures
- Perform sterile techniques
- Assist with field work
I have the following attributes:
- A strong interest in science and chemistry
- Able to adhere to workplace safety standards
- Good communication skills and able to work as part of a team
- Normal colour vision
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
The qualification can be gained through an approved traineeship program; however you will need to be employed and registered as a trainee before you can commence training.
Other costs for consideration:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Text Books (approx. $150)
- 3 days per week
- Chemistry Technician Assistant | Earth Science Technician Assistant | Life Science Technician Assistant | School Laboratory Technician
Other job titles may include:
- Laboratory Assistant | Laboratory Technician
- Instrument Operator
- Sampler and Tester
- Production Personnel
- Field Assistant
- Sample Courier
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees until 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee). Please see below an approximate estimate of what you will pay on enrolment.
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.