This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees.
Ignite your automotive electrical career
Complete this pre-apprenticeship and you'll have what employers are looking for in an apprentice automotive electrical technician.
Many employers prefer apprenticeship applicants to have completed a pre-apprenticeship — this course will give you the skills and knowledge to make you more competitive and give you a flying start in learning a trade. Plus our strong links to the automotive industry may also help!
Enjoy quality facilities including modern vehicles, specialised diagnostic equipment, and fully equipped classrooms and workshops.
Please note that entry into this course is competitive.
- Installing, testing and repairing wiring and lighting systems, electrical systems, electrical components and circuits
- Reading wiring diagrams
- Workplace safety and health
I have the following attributes:
- Good background in reading, writing and mathematics
- Good eyesight and vision for detail
- Good problem-solving skills
- Able to interact with customers
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Other costs for consideration:
- Automotive Mechanics Volume 1 Textbook
- Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including long cotton pants, cotton shirt, steel capped safety boots and safety glasses.
- 3 days per week
- Training ‘on the job’ - a compulsory component of training is undertaken with 75 hours of industry work placement and additional 75 hours of project work at TAFE.
- Automotive Electrical Trainee / Assistant
- Automotive Electrical Component Installer | Accessory Fitter
Completion of this course will improve your chance of getting an automotive electrical technician apprenticeship.
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Successful completion of this qualification provides you with the opportunity to become an apprentice in the automotive industry, but you need to be registered with the The Apprenticeship Office and employed.
This course will stream to automotive apprentice, trade assistant, mechanic, parts interpreter and service adviser.
This qualification is part of the Lower fees, local skills program where you'll pay only half of the standard course fees until 31 December 2021. The “annual fees cap” means that full-fee paying students will only pay a maximum of $1,200 (plus resource fee) and concession-fee paying students or those aged 15-24 years will only pay up to $400 (plus resource fee). Please see below an approximate estimate of what you will pay on enrolment.
Annual Full fee
Annual Concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred option below to get started with your application.