Its what's on the inside that counts
This qualification will give you the practical skills and knowledge to find creative and technical solutions for built interior environments.
Interior design includes planning and detailing complex residential, hospitality, retail, commercial and institutional design projects with an emphasis on space creation and spatial planning. Interior designers consider aesthetics, function, branding, manufacturing, marketability and construction of interior spaces, including materials and sustainable environments and special needs for the benefit of the user.
You will learn to adapt global design trends and technical innovations, while developing contacts with interiors sources, products, and suppliers.
Graduates may work as an interior designer for interior design and architectural practices, or become self-employed design consultants. And employment opportunities are good in the commercial sector including interior decoration work in office-fit outs for large businesses.
The Advanced Diploma of Interior Design is a great precursor to further study at University. With a higher qualification you can improve your earning potential and employment prospects.
North Metropolitan TAFE is an Educational Member of DIA. This qualification is listed as a DIA recognised course on their website(opens in a new tab) .
- Work on design projects
- Consider aesthetics, functionality, space planning, construction, materials and finishes
- Complete designs for commercial/institutional interiors
- Create digital presentations
- Research and keep up with current design trends
- Develop sustainable designs
I have the following attributes:
- Creativity, imagination and artistic flair
- Ability to work to a client's needs and guidelines
- Good communication and listening skill
- Good colour sense and an eye for detail
- An aptitude for illustration and technical drawing
- An understanding of building construction
At North Metropolitan TAFE this Advanced Diploma of Interior Design course will take an additional year after successful completion MSF50218 Diploma of Interior Design(opens in a new tab) .
If you have completed MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration (or any earlier Diploma of Interior Design) you will need to enrol in additional units to meet all the unit requirements of MSF60118 Advanced Diploma of Interior Design.
If you wish to enrol in MSF60118 Advanced Diploma of Interior Design and do not have MSF50218, please contact the Head of Programs for Interior Design for further information.
Other job titles may include:
- Self-employed Design Consultant
- Design Project Administrator
- Design Manager
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
* after completion of Diploma of Interior Design
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.