Add to your palette of graphic design skills
The Advanced Diploma will make you ‘industry-ready’ and during the course you will develop a stunning portfolio which culminates in the end-of-year grad show. Our grad show is the highlight of the year and is attended by industry stakeholders, many of whom are alumni who are now leading the industry.
You can choose from two streams - User Experience Design or Illustration. This means that although everyone does the common core units there is the opportunity to specialise in electives. Our industry consultation outlines the demand for illustrative design as well as a more User Experience/ User Interface approach.
We integrate live briefs with real clients. An example of the high standard of work our students produce is our involvement with the International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD) where our students have won international awards and our participation in Award School. All students become members of the Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA), the industry’s leading body.
We also host the annual AGDA folio review where feedback is received from industry members in how to best structure your portfolio. In addition to this we conduct industry visits and host guest speakers who shed light on the latest trends in our industry.
This course is demanding, but the rewards and satisfaction are great. Many of our graduates go on to enrol into a degrees in design and receive advanced standing at all WA universities. We have pathways and agreements with Curtin University in particular.
North Metropolitan TAFE is an Educational Member of DIA. This qualification is listed as a DIA recognised course on their website(opens in a new tab) .
- Establish and maintain environmentally sustainable creative practice
- Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
- Extend typographic design expertise
- Originate graphic designs for complex briefs
I have the following attributes:
- A strong visual focus and creative flair
- Able to think laterally and come up with creative solutions
- Able to work well under pressure
- Able to work to tight deadlines
Diploma of Graphic Design or equivalent industry experience. Submission of a portfolio may be required.
Other job titles may include:
- Packaging designer
- Advertising designer
- Illustrative designer
- Corporate designer
- Web and multimedia designer
- Graphic design assistant
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
North Metropolitan TAFE has an articulation agreement with Curtin University which means your Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design can give you up to 400 credits in Curtin's Bachelor of Design Graphic, Design Major.
Estimated Course Fee
Estimated Concession Fee
Eligible for VSL
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some year-long courses might have a bigger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.